In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Eastern Maine Medical Center

Eastern Maine General Hospital, Bangor, ca. 1899

Contributed by Eastern Maine Medical Center
MMN Item 16208 Item Details
Eastern Maine General Hospital, Bangor, ca. 1899
MMN Item 16208 Zoom

Description

Eastern Maine General Hospital's Graystone (Mace) Building and Surgical Building are pictured here circa 1899. There was "something over $20,000" set aside for the building of the building of a brick building to relieve overcrowded conditions and to provide suitable surgical rooms. Work began on the foundation in 1897 and the stone wall on State Street was dismantled and used in its construction. In 1898 the Women's Aid Society agreed to furnish the new wards (for $1,893). Private rooms were furnished by individual donors. The building officially opened in October 1899. This hospital is now known as Eastern Maine Medical Center which is a member of Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.